6.26.2010

Books, two beautiful books

So, I've been reading a lot these past few days. Ok, only two books, but compared to the number of books I've read during the school year, it's a lot!

The first book I read was The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson. The story is about Destiny Faraday. She feels abandoned, lost, and bitter. When a car suddenly shows up on her school's ground, she and her friends decide to go on a road trip in search of a fair day. A day that will actually go right, and one where everyone can be content with what happens.

It was amazing. Just amazing. And bittersweet and heartbreaking at points. It's the kind of book that after you finish reading, will make you curl up and ponder about the topics and questions it brought up during the story. In this case, the story is all about fate. Is everything just a coincidence or is it fate? Is there such thing as destiny anyway? And what do numbers have to do with anything? The topic is strange, but intriguing.

The story is realistic fiction, though it's realistic in a rather magical way (if that makes any sense), and I think that 's why I love it as much as I do now. The last 50 pages...wow. The ending made me catch my breath. It's splendid, and I truly admire Mary E. Pearson for tying up the story that way. I thoroughly enjoyed The Miles Between, and I can't recommend this book enough. It's unforgettable, and I know I'll have a hard time giving it back to my library. ;)

-------

Now, the second book I read was Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. Anything that has to do with Ancient Rome and Greece always fascinated me, so obviously, just seeing the cover made me want to read it. :D The book itself was pretty good, and very, very abundant in historical detail. I learned so much about Rome from reading this- the cruelties women and the poor went through, the corruption, the politics, the architecture, family life, you name it.

Cleopatra's daughter, Kleopatra Selene, was an interesting person to read about. I don't know much about Egypt, so this was my first time reading about her children.The problems Selene and Alexander went through with growing up in a country that wasn't their own was understandable, and I loved Selene's growth throughout the book. However, I wish the book continued, because I would've loved to hear about her marriage, and her rule as Queen. Also, the romance, though sweet, is very abrupt. It spans the last few pages, and not enough time to taken to develop it, so it feels awkward..

Well anyway, despite the two issues I pointed out, the book was great! If you're a history geek (like me!), or you love political tension or a lovely book in general, you'll love this book. Though it took me a while to get into it, I enjoyed it, and I think there should totally be a sequel! It would be awesome if there was a book about Selene's life after marriage and such. (Michelle Moran, if you landed on this page somehow and you're reading this, please please please?)

4 comments:

  1. I loved The Miles Between, and I've heard that Cleopatra's Daughter is really good, so I'm hoping to read that soon.

    By the way, I watched a documentary on Cleopatra at school a couple weeks ago, and wow, she had a messed up life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nonie - I did land on your page! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about the novel. And I will definitely be considering a sequel down the line :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they like The Godfather or 2001: A Space Odyssey?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priya: Yeah, Cleopatra was a powerful ruler and stuff, but she ended up committing suicide with snakes. Umm, not fun.

    Michelle: OMG, thanks for stopping by! Thanks for considering a sequel! :D

    Rishi: Umm, no. They are not like the Godfather, and definitely not like 2001: A Space Odyssey. ;)

    ReplyDelete