4.28.2010

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

It's hard to write an original review when the book's been around for 200 years, so I'll write a poem reviewing it instead. (BTW, I think I should warn you that the poet in me is severely lacking. :P)

Jane Austen's beloved love story
with
intelligent and lively Elizabeth,
and proud but dashing (and smart) Mr. Darcy,
is
unforgettable,
timeless,
adored by most,
and now, even me.

Ta-da! :D

So I did finish the book, and I cheered with happiness! To understand my happiness, you have to know about the relationship between P&P and I: Last April, we got an assignment in English in which we had to read a novel by a foreign author, and basically we had to write a letter to the author about it and such. I picked P&P because I thought it would be fun reading old English, but I didn't know anything about P&P before the assignment other than it was written by classic author Jane Austen, it was a love story, and the most recent movie version had Keira Knightly playing the lead role.

To make a long story short, there was some family chaos that erupted at the time, so I couldn't finish the novel (but I finished the letter thanks to my grandfather, my friends, and the first ten chapters I read), but I made a promise to Jane Austen's memory that I would read it someday, and that someday was yesterday, because I sprained my ankle the day before playing Tennis, and I had to stay home from school. :D

Now about the book, all I can say is that I think that Jane Austen was a brilliant observer of the society around her. The characters are realistic, and show true emotion. There's at least someone that we can all relate to in the story or someone like the characters that we see all the time wherever we go. There's immense truth in the pages about how everyone views the world, about pride and prejudices, and about first impressions and how they're not always correct. For a while, it felt like I was reading a foreign language book, because of all the "translating" I had to do, and it took me twice the time it would take for me to read a similarly lengthy novel, but it was worth it. :D

Oh, honestly, I really can't explain my immense love for this novel and I know I'm doing a really bad job explaining it, so I'm just going to conclude with me recommending you to read it too someday, and saying that I will be reading the rest of Jane Austen's novels. (I think Sense & Sensibilty and Persuasion are up next in line for me. :]) Oh, gosh, I love the classics.

8 comments:

  1. I was wondering where you were. Are you alright? We missed you! Congrats on finishing. Now I have to too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah sounds pretty cool
    I should read it some time

    I like the proposal scenes in the movies because they use kinda big words and it's hilarious. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace: Haha, we've been talking about this for a year now! I just realized, it was exactly one year ago that I got the book in school. Wow. :D Yes, you should totally read it! OMG, I am in love with it (haha, can you tell?) Oh, and I'm alright, thank you! My ankle's just a little swollen, but I don't need to get a cast or anything. The doctors just told me to stay home, and rest. :) I should be back at school tomorrow. Hope I didn't miss anything important! :0

    Rishi: Yes, I know right? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should really read this. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why yes, you should definitely try it again Priya. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, P&P is a vicious circle. I watch the movie, become inspired to pick up the book, then get six chapters in (it's six every time, I swear!) and then I put it down. *sigh* One day it'll happen, I'm sure. Great Review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to read Pride and Prejudice for literature! But I only read it half-way. :/ But I watched the movie. :D GLAD you enjoyed it! I should pick up my copy sometime (should be...um...somewhere :P) Anyway, just want to add you've got a blog award on my blog! It's the Your Blog is Over the Top Award! I really hope you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete