7.26.2010

today's a good day to be happy


In other words, things that are making me smile (or laugh, because I'm definitely more of a laughing person) right now are:


- At last, a day with a cloudless (or almost cloudless sky) and the sun. And, today's one of those days where it's not too hot and not too cold. It's just a nice, peaceful summer day. :)



- The past few days have been filled with thunderstorms, mini power outages (or as my brother kindly reminds me the correct term each time- brownouts), and overall a very gloomy atmosphere, although...the storms did provide for some good sunset photo-ops. :P



- Spending a couple of hours on a Saturday evening reading Only the Good Spy Young and finishing up Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days. The last few pages of Dog Days are pure gold. If I wasn't in a bookstore at the time, surrounded by other people, I wouldn't have had to restrain my laughter so much (which was very hard, by the way)...


- Reading old essays, journal entries, and the like. Those are always fun to read. ;)


- Almost finishing up with my AP English homework, and starting with my AP Government homework. Reading through the entire Constitution is not as tiring as one may think, though it is very hard to concentrate when the sun is shining, and just *calling* you to run outside.

- While cleaning out my room, I found not one, but three $5 fine forgiveness coupons for my library, so now I have $15 to waive fines with! Yippee! I mean...*cough*cough* Me? Need fine forgiveness coupons for the library?! That's preposterous! Why would I need them in the first place? *cough*cough*I always turn my books in on time *cough*cough*


- Speaking of the library, I just checked a couple minutes ago, and I have this book waiting for me to pick up! For some reason, I feel really really really excited to read this book. So excited, that I'm literally bouncing as I'm typing this. I haven't felt this excited about going to the library to pick up a book since well...a very long time, and I have absolutely no idea why I'm sooo eager about this book as I am right now. Maybe it's the luscious cover? Or maybe because it involves candy?! Or maybe, it's just because it looks just plain old fun.


- Reading Shannon Hale's old interview with Brandon Mull. That picture on the bottom of that post is very, er, priceless. :D

- Seeing old elementary school friends who I haven't seen in 5 years!

- And, of course, reading through this post is certainly making me smile (and laugh along the way). :)

--------

So what's been making you smile lately? :D

11 comments:

  1. what a pretty set of weather pictures. They make me feel calm for some reason, just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're having a good couple of days.
    I just finished reading I'd tell you I love you, but then I'd have to kill you, which is the first in that series!
    Can I ask a question? What on earth are fine-forgiveness tokens?!!
    Here's to many more happinesses,
    Rachel Star

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great photos! So pretty. I don't know anything about the Wimpy Kid books but they look super cute...mebbe I will have to check them out. I am unfamiliar with fine forgiveness coupons but they sound great! Something that's made me smile lately: looking up new cake recipes to try. Also, upbeat blog posts like yours!

    -Bea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing,

    just kidding.

    Well, there is the Dawn of Man sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey. I like the part where that one monkey starts breaking the bones of this one pig thing with another bone. It's the only part of the movie I get. And there's also Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda,and Metroid, remembering the "Wii would like to play" ads and Adventure Time.

    (^_-)

    I looked online for emoticons. This is how they show a wink in East Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I love that second photo.

    2. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is amazing! I hope another one comes out soon. :-)

    3. The Candy Shop War does look interesting. I'd never heard of it before, but I'll check it out now!

    4. Yes, that interview (and the photo) was priceless. I still remember reading it a while ago and laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks for that great link about "Rapunzel"! I really liked Shannon's point about the lack of female characters in general (and further, lack of funny female characters). I definitely think parents/consumers can be complicit in the perpetuation of gender stereotypes and thus have some hand in shaping what media produces...but I think it's also cyclical: People fall into these gendered behavioral norms because it's what practically everything in society says is "normal." Thanks again!

    -Bea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Nonnie.
    Because I love your blog so much, I've given you an award. You always make me smile :)
    Happy Blogging,
    Rachel Star.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aimee: I'm glad you liked the pictures. :D Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel: Awww, *blush*, thank you! I did answer your question in a comment I wrote on your post, by the way. :D

    Rishi: But you don't even play Metroid. *tsk tsk* And the beginning scene is freaky.

    Priya: I just looked online, and it said that the fifth Wimpy Kid is coming out Nov. 9th! It's called the Ugly Truth. :) Yay! (wimpykid.com)

    Bea: Your welcome. :) I'm just sorry it took so long to find it the article!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. i cant believe you get fines from your library! Is that normal? Who knows? I've never heard of that before, but I'm in Australia so who knows what the rest of the world's libraries do?

    I think the candy shop war looks like so much fun. I'm thinking my oldest son may be into it, he's nine.

    and yay for collecting quotes. I've been doing that for 15 years and I love looking through my notebooks. so much inky goodness.

    and, I kinda feel like I should be feeling old, haha...

    Love your blog name too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, thank you! The Candy Shop War was really fun! I think your son would delight in it. It was soo cute, and I think it would be amusing for him. Quotes are awesome, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So what?

    The series looks pretty cool. :o

    ReplyDelete